Saturday, July 30, 2011

How My Heels Killed Me

This post should simply be 'Heels', but I couldn't resist, considering my, uh, minor 'misunderstanding' with my own heels yesterday. I got these two-inch cream coloured heels from Charles & Keith. They aren't new, mind you, but this didn't stop them from giving me hell...on the day I was supposed to attend my first meeting with a client, together with two of my other colleagues.

What I got was worse than blisters - I ended up getting a whole chunk of my skin at the back of my left ankle scraped off (approximately the size of two fifty-cent coins), and it's not funny when you couldn't even walk properly soon after.

Anyway, enough about my shoes' Ted Bundy-like* qualities.

Ladies, take note: heels are the greatest ever creation right next to crème brûlée and black eyeliner (just to make a comparison), but whether or not they are worth all the pain...the verdict is still out there.


The Do's and Don'ts of High Heels
  • Don't wear heels that are too high - anybody who isn't Lady Gaga shouldn't attempt to defy gravity. Consequences might be dire, although who could possibly forget those gorgeous Alexander McQueen 10-inch stilettos Her Highness the Queen of Kooky Fashion wore in her 'Bad Romance' video?


                                                  Photo taken from here

  • A lesson in standing - for those of you who are used to wearing flats, it might be a good idea to take time to just stand in your heels to get the hang of it (works better with a full-length mirror). Then, turn side to side, try to get accustomed to the difference in balance and height. 
  • Practice makes perfect - this should be every girl's mantra: practice, practice, practice. If you haven't worn high heels before, or you're already a pro, this might sound silly, but you'll understand what I mean if/when you put them on for the first time: it's a whole new experience. So walk back and forth, side to side just to get a hang of it before venturing outside the house.
  • Balance - we know that the chunkier the heel the better balance we'll have. So, if you're a beginner, consider starting out with chunkier heels as opposed to stilettos. Give yourself time to adjust to the height/weight difference.
                        Photo of chunky heels from here, stilettos from here

  • Walking in heels - this, again, might sound silly, but not many people know how to really walk in heels, especially if you're a newbie. Remember to keep your legs straight and as close together as possible. Start with baby steps until you gain confidence to lengthen your strides.
* Ted Bundy was an American serial killer, if you must know.

No comments:

Post a Comment