Wednesday, August 10, 2011

A Girl's Response to the Post 'Childhood Superhero'.

*writer's note: this is not, in any way, a superhero post, although the title seems to indicate so*

Friends think I'm weird because I didn't watch Transformers or Power Rangers while growing up. Sadder still, I missed the Ultraman and Doraemon era too (now now, don't be sexist, many girls I know watch Transformers and Ultraman and the likes too)

Not to say I'm a brat or anything, but growing up, I watched stuff like:

Photo taken from here
She-Ra: Princess of Power - introduced as Force Captain Adora, She-Ra is the twin sister of Adam, or better known as He-Man. The spin-off from He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power was aimed primarily at young girls to counter He-Man's popularity with the boys. She was one of the first superheroes I was introduced to, and for a long time, just like any other young girl, I wanted to be just like her.


Photo taken from here
Jem and the Holograms - Jem was a rockstar, and a super cool one at that. Running from 1985-1988, Jem and the Holograms tells of the main character, Jerrica and her rockstar alter-ego Jem, who belonged in a band called The Holograms. She was able to transform into her alter-ego with the help of a synthesizing and holographic talking computer called Synergy. But yeah, Jem contribute to my punk phase with her funky pink hair, painted face and awesome wardrobe.

Photo taken from here
The Smurfs - Produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions in 1981, the Smurfs are small blue creatures who wore white hats in the style of a Phrygian cap and white stockings/trousers (except Papa Smurf, who wore red). I was introduced to the Smurfs when I was but a wee child, and always thought that Clumsy Smurf was adorable  :)


Photo taken from here
Star Wars: Ewoks - Not many people know that there's actually an Ewok animation. Well, like the rest of the Star Wars universe, the Ewoks are created by the great master George Lucas and ran from 1985 to 1986. Set in the Ewok village on the forest moon of Endor, the series tells of the adventures of Wickett and his friends Princess Kneesa, Teebo and Latara during the years before Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (yes, Star Wars fan here...the old trilogy, at least)


Photo taken from here
Care Bears - Did you know these bears made their debut on American greeting cards back in 1981? They only had their own TV series in 1985; alongside these TV series are three feature films (1985-1987). Furry, cute and cuddly creatures who protect and guide young children, the Care Bears live on Care-A-Lot. Each Bear's identity is depicted through the badges on their bellies/chests.


P/S: Maybe I am a brat - notice that all the aforementioned cartoons are either American, Canadian or British. Justifiably, growing up overseas didn't give me much choice in the first place anyway. But if it helps, I did go through my Sailormoon phase when I was about ten.

PP/S: Also, if you were wondering, the previous Ultraman post wasn't mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment